Robert Drenckhahn (left) and Julia Stanwycks (right), winners of the Fred Breithut Scholarship, pose with members of the Lindenhurst and Plainview-Old Bethpage High School robotics teams and their robots at the Robots and Roses Reception at Farmingdale State College on June 17, 2010. View the press release.
THE FRED BREITHUT SCHOLARSHIP
School Business Partnerships of Long Island, Inc. (SBPLI) has announced the establishment of the Fred Breithut Scholarship, which will be offered to an incoming first-year student at Farmingdale State College. The scholarship is for four years, with an amount of $1,000 per semester.
Eligibility and Criteria
In order for a student to be eligible for the scholarship, he or she must meet the following requirements:
• Confirmed active participation in the Long Island FIRST robotics program while in high school for at least two years
• A high school GPA of 85 or better
• A SAT score of 550 or better in math, and 1100 or better in math/critical reading
• A letter from the team leader/mentor confirming active participation in the robotics program and addressing leadership, teamwork and gracious professionalism displayed by the student
• A letter from the student addressing community activities in which he or she participated and an essay on how the scholarship will influence his or her career goals
• Enrollment in one of Farmingdale State College’s four-year programs: mathematics, science, engineering technology or computer systems
For the continuation of the scholarship each semester while the recipient is at Farmingdale State College, he or she must meet the following criteria:
• 3.5 GPA at the end of each semester
• A commitment to promote and support the Long Island FIRST robotics program
• A letter describing the actions he or she has taken to promote and support the LI FIRST program on Long Island and/or within Farmingdale State College
The deadline to apply is March 1, 2013.